Monday, February 27, 2012

Light Crock Pot Three-Bean Turkey Chili


I am loving Pinterest.  I was a little leery when starting Weight Watchers because it is so hard to find full-flavored food that is also light and good for you.  I have to tell you, Pinterest has been a lifesaver!  I found this recipe of course on the site which led me to another great site, Skinnytaste.com also known as Gina's Skinny Recipes.  You will never guess that this recipe is light.  As with normal chili you can add cheese and sour cream, but I only added some chopped red onion and it was excellent!  So here goes:


Light Crock Pot Three Bean Turkey Chili


Ingredients:

·       1.3 lb (20 oz) fat free ground turkey breast
·       1 small onion, chopped
·       1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
·       1 (16 oz) can tomato sauce
·       1 (4.5 oz) can chopped chilies, drained
·       1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, undrained
·       1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, undrained
·       1 (15.5 oz) can small red beans, undrained
·       2 tbsp chili powder
·       Topping:
·       1/2 cup chopped red onion
·       1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro for topping
·       shredded cheddar to top (extra pts)
Directions:

    Brown turkey and onion in a medium skillet over medium high heat until cooked through.

    Drain any fat remaining and transfer to crock pot.  Add the beans, chilies, chickpeas, tomatoes, tomato sauce and chili powder mixing well.

    Cook on high 6-8 hours.

    Garnish with onions, cilantro and cheese and enjoy!

Servings:  12 Weight Watcher's Points+ 5

I love the idea of crock pot recipes.  Just dump in and turn it on, but I for some odd reason rarely get the crock pot going in time.  So I have to admit, that I did not cook for the full 6-8 hours.  I actually cooked it for almost 5 hours.  Guess what, it was still great.  I think the idea of 6-8 hours is more beneficial if you're leaving the house for that amount of time.  I'm a domestic engineer, so that cooking time isn't always necessary for me.  There really isn't much more to add.  It's that easy.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment